Are You Sure You’re A Self-Employed SSS Member?

Updated February 21, 2018

Are you paying your SSS monthly contributions as an SSS Self-Employed member?

If yes, are you sure you have submitted to SSS a filled-up Self-Employed Data Record form (RS-1), or a Personal Record Form with the Self-Employed portion, together with your proof of source of income and that it was approved by SSS?

If you ARE NOT SURE, enroll in SSS Online, and then check your record. Click “Member’s Record.” Check if you have a Date of Coverage, and if the date is correct. This Date of Coverage (DOC) is the date you paid your first ever contribution to SSS. Sometimes the DOC is not exact, but is close to the date you paid your first.

To see your Date of Coverage, click Online Inquiry.  If you see that you DO NOT have a Date of Coverage, visit the SSS branch nearest your residence or work, and ask. Bring your ID.

If after trying to enroll in SSS Online, and you see this: CANNOT YET ENROLL ONLINE,  it means you do not have yet a Date of Coverage.

Why Is It Important to Have a Date of Coverage?

Because this is the date of the start of your SSS membership. This date is used in formulas to compute and process your claims. No date of coverage, no computation, no benefit.

What is the proper way to register as an SSS Self-Employed member?

First, you submit a filled-up Personal Record form at the nearest SSS branch, together with your proof of source of income, and have your Self-Employed membership application approved and stamped by SSS.

Merong Self-Employed portion itong Personal Record form. Dati kasi ang ginagamit was the Self-Employed Data Record form.

Who is a Self-Employed member? How is he/she different from a Voluntary member?

A Self-Employed member in SSS is a member who was not previously an Employed SSS member, or was not previously OFW, Non-working Spouse, or Household Helper.

Examples are dentists, lawyers, parlor owners, electricians, farmers, fishermen, tourist guides, writers, salesmen, sari-sari store owners, and others who were not previously registered as Employed, OFW, Non-Working Spouse or Household Helper.

A Voluntary member is previously an Employed member. Or previously a registered OFW member or previously a registered Self-Employed member, or previously registered as Non-Working Spouse or Household Helper.

What happens if you did not submit for approval a Self-Employed Data Record form or a Personal Record form with the Self-Employed portion and you continued paying your contributions for several months or years?

Your benefit claims will not be approved because you did not register properly, and you do not have a Date of Coverage.

A woman commented on this blog that her maternity benefit claim was rejected, even if she has been paying for several years, because SSS found out that she does not have a Date of Coverage. She admitted that she did not submit a Self-Employed Data Record.

What did SSS do with this unregistered woman’s contributions?
SSS asked her to register as Self-Employed, and after her registration was approved, SSS posted all her past contributions as advance payments starting from the month she registered as Self-Employed.

It was a heartbreaking discovery for this woman, as she realized the time wasted, and the maternity benefit she lost. 

What Is Date of Coverage in SSS?

How to Register as SSS Self-Employed Member 

Table of SSS Contributions for Voluntary, Self-Employed, OFW, Non-Working Spouse Members


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *