BPI, BDO, or Metrobank Fees — Why Keep Paying Them?

December 10, 2010 · Filed Under Banks, BDO, BPI

BDO Fees, BPI Fees, Metrobank Fees, Bank Fees in the Philippines

Bank fees of 10 pesos, 2 pesos, 1.50 pesos, 150 pesos — they add up.
Let’s avoid them.

Over the past months, my daughter accumulated a total deductions of 327.50 pesos
from her BPI Family savings account:

• two 150 pesos for allowing her maintaining balance to fall below 1,000 pesos for three consecutive months
  • two 10 pesos for ATM withdrawal in other banks’ ATMs
  • three 1.50 pesos for ATM inquiries in other banks’ ATMs

Same with me, I also accumulated a lot of 11-peso and 2-peso deductions
from my BDO savings account for ATM withdrawals in other banks’ ATMs. Obviously, we’re not good examples of what I’m writing about. But since I’ve seen the total deductions on printed paper, I’ve become more conscious about these fees.

My attention to bank fees was also heightened when an OFW in Italy wrote to ask about her BDO savings account which she left dormant. When she comes home this December, she will find that her more than 48K deposit, instead of increasing, has been reduced by about 1,600 pesos. A dormant BDO savings account is charged 200 pesos per month. (Update: BDO increased its dormancy fee to 300 pesos per month of dormancy in February 2011.)

Take note of the following common bank fees. All banks charge them. They just differ in amounts. Let’s avoid them.

1.  ATM Fees for withdrawing in other banks’ ATMs

BPI withdrawal fee: 10 pesos
BPI inquiry fee: 1.50

BDO withdrawal fee: 11 pesos
BDO inquiry fee: 2 pesos

If you withdraw twice a week at another bank’s ATM, you would be
spending 80 pesos a month just for withdrawal.

2.  Service Charge for Not Complying with the Maintaining Balance Requirement

BPI Family: 150 pesos
BPI: 200 pesos
BDO: 200 pesos (increased to 300 on Feb 1, 2011)
Metrobank passbook savings: 250 pesos
Metrobank ATM savings: 200 pesos

The maintaining balances are the following:

BPI Family ATM peso savings — 1,000 pesos
BPI Family passbook savings — 10,000 pesos
BPI ATM peso savings — 3,000 pesos
BPI passbook peso savings — 10,000 pesos

BDO ATM peso savings — 2,000 pesos
BDO Passbook peso savings — 5,000 pesos

Metrobank ATM peso savings — 2,000 pesos
Metrobank passbook savings — 10,000 pesos
Metrobank SSS pensioner — 200 pesos

These banks charge fees for two consecutive months of being below the maintaining balance.

3.  Charges for Dormant Accounts
BPI and BDO:  200 pesos for every month of dormancy (BDO increased its dormancy fee to 300 on Feb 1, 2011)

4.  Service charge for over-the-counter withdrawal for ATM-based Accounts

BPI — 100 pesos
No charge if ATM is off-line or if withdrawal amount exceeds the daily ATM withdrawal limit, which is 20,000 pesos

BDO  –  100 pesos

The daily ATM withdrawal limit for BDO is higher — 50,000 pesos.  If your account is ATM-based, you can’t withdraw over the counter unless you’ve already withdrawn 50K through the ATM or unless you pay the OTC withdrawal fee of 100 pesos.

5.  Fees and Penalties for Returned Checks

Metrobank:  2,000 pesos plus 200 pesos per day for every 40,000 pesos and fraction
of check amount
BPI: 2,000 pesos plus 200 pesos per day for every 40,000 pesos and fraction of check amount

Related Articles:

BDO Deposit Accounts — Baka Maubos Imbes na Lumago

BPI and BDO Internet Banking

BDO Correspondents for Sending Money to the Philippines

BPI Correspondents in Saudi Arabia

BDO Kabayan Savings and BDO Remit Accounts for OFWs

Comments

71 Responses to “BPI, BDO, or Metrobank Fees — Why Keep Paying Them?”

1. Mhavie on February 12th, 2013 12:45 am

Hello po,good evening :) want to ask about my passbook at metrobank, almost 4 years that I haven’t deposited &withdrawn, then this coming march I’m getting back to the Philippines. I plan to withdraw all and put it in another bank. Is there a dormancy penalty? Can I get the money immediately? What are the requirements? Thanks for the advice

2. Sarhen2 on February 12th, 2013 2:01 pm

Retired Philippine Army po ako at direct diposit po ako sa Land Bank of the Philippine (LBP)ung Pension Monthly,ang balance ko ay 82,000.00 nahinto po ung monthly diposit nung july 2008 dahil nag abroad ako.2007 ako nag abroad hanggang ngayun ay di pa ako nakaka uwi,pinapunta ko ang aking kapatid sa LBP ang sabi ng bangko ay Dormant account na.2014 pa po ang uwi. puedi po ba akong mag diposit sa account ngayon. Salamat po

3. Nors on February 12th, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Sarhen2, sad to say, if your account is dormant, it’s put on hold, and you cannot remit to it or deposit. You need to make a personal appearance at your branch to reactivate it. Anyway, your money won’t disappear, it will stay there, but don’t let it stay dormant for 10 years; after 10 years of dormancy, your money will be forwarded to the BSP. Also, while dormant, your money doesn’t earn interest. May I ask why your pension was put on hold? Landbank has a Contact page where you can make inquiries, perhaps ask if you can just scan your IDs, passport, etc. https://www.landbank.com/contact.asp Don’t write your account no.; just ask about activating your dormant account.

4. Sarhen2 on February 13th, 2013 6:19 am

Thanks a lot for responding quickly. Took optional retirement after 20 yrs with the military. The policy of the armed forces of the Philippine is for the pensioner to make a personal appearance yearly at camp aguinaldo to prove that one is still alive, something I wasn’t able to do as I left for the US in 2007 to look for greener pastures. Now I’m TNT, so I can’t come home. If I do, won’t be able to get back here. That’s why my pension was put on hold. I plan to come home for good. So hard here.

5. Nors on February 13th, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi Mhavie, is your balance higher than the maintaining balance requirement? If it is higher, there’s no penalty, even if it’s dormant. Yes, you can get your money immediately. But first, you need to activate it by appearing in person at your branch with at least 2 valid IDs. Yes, your dormant account is no longer earning interest. Perhaps you realize by now that it’s better to put your money in auto-renewal time deposits so they continue to earn interest even if you stay longer abroad. best regards

6. Nors on February 14th, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi Sarhen2, so sad to hear about your pension, and your situation there. The other difficult thing is you cannot ask for help from fellow Pinoys there. Continue to pray for guidance and discernment. Take care

7. Mhavie on February 15th, 2013 3:06 am

Good morning. Thank you so much nor for the fast and informative advice. God bless & more power???

8. Nors on February 15th, 2013 5:58 am

Hi Mhavie, I have to make a correction about my previous response. I said there’s no penalty because I based it on the BSP’s 2005 ruling on dormant accounts and on my friend’s PNB dormant account which PNB did not penalize even if it was dormant as it had a big balance. But yesterday, I went to a small bank near our place, and I saw their dormancy policy on their counter. I asked the teller about it, and they said they deduct dormancy fee regardless of the balance.
    I found a Metrobank passbook account copy on the Internet, and saw their dormancy policy — that they deduct dormancy fee regardless of balance. So I’m not sure now about Metrobank. BSP had a ruling, though vague: BSP Circular No. 485, issued in 2005. Will send you a copy.

9. Nors on February 15th, 2013 6:18 am

Hi Mhavie, I sent you an email, but google says there’s an error with your address. Read this Inquirer article on dormant accounts. It discusses the BSP ruling on dormancy.

10. Datu Phran Zwa on February 18th, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi hard working pinoy, l have myself big problems with banks, BDO, and specialy BPI not only with the not so-small fees they shower your account with but their secrecy practice and their refusal to give you information that they are mandated to provide to their depositors according to all the filipino banking laws. The Filipino bankers’ attitude is if the depositor does not ask dont give it to him, and if the depositor ask then make it so long and so difficult for him that he will give up and the bank can continue to go around the law. By the way, you seem to be a very smart guy, could you possibly provide me with the name and phone number of an attorney working for BPI Legal Dpt in the BPI BLDG on Ayala cor. dela Roxas, Mkt. Thanks, Fran.

11. Nors on February 18th, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi Datu, I like your “hard working pinoy”! LOL. Truly I am hard working. I’m flattered, but sorry, I’m going to disappoint you — I don’t know anyone there, as I don’t work for BPI, and never been. Am just a long-time user of several of their products.
    Yes, you’re right, banks are shrewd. They don’t do what’s right; they do anything to profit as long as it’s allowed by law (and oftentimes the law on certain things is vague). Thanks for commenting. best regards

12. EmperorMeat on February 28th, 2013 3:36 pm

hi, i have a question on this problem of mine,
    i have a metrobank account, im still a student and i dont know how these things work, so unaware, my atm account fell below the maintaining balance, the next time i checked, it still has 1k+, then, i had to let my mom deposit 3.5k for some purpose, when i checked the balance, it had 2.8k nalang in it. so why was i deducted 700+? so it went to 2.8k, i had to let my mom deposit another 1.7k to have my 3.5k needed amount, and still have at least 2k balance in it, but when i withdrew the second time, it has 3.8k nalang in it, so i Got Deducted 2 times after my mom deposited, Deduction of 1.4k.

what can you say about this? thanks

13. Nors on March 1st, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi EmperorMeat, you should go to Metrobank and ask about your deductions, so you would know. Don’t be shy. That’s your money. Seeing you as a student, they’ll explain. Go to the officers/tellers at the desks/ tables, not those on the high counters. The penalty for below-maintaining-balance is 300 pesos, so if you fell below the balance for 4 consecutive months, that should be 4 x 300 = 1200. If your mom likes Metrobank, open a Metrobank prepaid card, so you don’t need to maintain a balance. If your mom is OFW, you can get an OFW savings account (no maintaining balance requirement); show a remittance receipt, your IDs and ID pics.
    Maintaining balance means it is DAILY. or DAILY average for the month. Should be above balance requirement for all the days of the month. Can fall below for some days, but the balance for other days should be high, so the average for the month would be above the required balance.

14. M on March 6th, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi! My friend is saving money through Jeddah metro bank remittance… Does anyone know about charges and time limit of withdrawal? Kasi sa july 2013 pa uwi nya and he has been depositing money since 2010. Di nya kasi maintindihan language ng mga teller sa KSA. Basta ang sabi sa Pinas na nya mawithdraw ang money. Does any experience the same situation? Please help. From: M. March 6, 2013.

15. M on March 6th, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi! My friend is saving money through Jeddah metro bank remittance… Does anyone know about charges and time limit of withdrawal? Kasi sa july 2013 pa uwi nya and he has been depositing money since 2010. Di nya kasi maintindihan language ng mga teller sa KSA. Basta ang sabi sa Pinas na nya mawithdraw ang money. Does any experience the same situation? Please help. From: miraluz2002@yahoo.com. March 6, 2013.

16. M on March 6th, 2013 9:22 pm

Is there anyone here experienced the same?

17. jes on March 13th, 2013 6:12 am

I dpostd last mnth 5.150k my total blance nw is 8133 my sister dpostd 1k nw i just withdraw 1k and my blance is nw 7331 and yet id nevr wthdraw aside frm 1k and planing tdposit ths maRch.my blance bfore was 2900 then i dpostd 5150 hw cme that they deduct 300 e mnthly me nag huhulog p bdo,how come?

18. Nors on March 13th, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi jes, is this a regular passbook account? The maintaining balance requirement is 5k. If it’s an atm account, go to your branch and ask.

19. yuri feliciano on March 23rd, 2013 11:04 am

Hello po..pa advice naman po..kc po last january 2013 na disclose po account ko sa bpi..last october 2012 po nagwithdraw ako at ang natira nalang sa atm ko is 1000plus..by february 2013 naiwithdraw ko pa po un 1000..nakaonline banking po ako b4..kaso etong march 2013 i tried to log in thru internet banking iit said that my account was disclose.i call customer care and he said that january 2013 my account disclose.eh how it could happen nakapagwithdraw pa ako last february 2013.i want to request a copy of my bank statement but the bpi staff told me that they cannot provode because my account was closed.if any possibility that i can request a copy of my statement of account kahit na po magbayad ako ng penalty.importante po kasi..sir can u replied me in private kc po bihira po ako mag online..princeyuri25@yahoo.com email address thanks a lot

20. yuri feliciano on March 23rd, 2013 11:14 am

Sir bakit un sim kahit inactive pwdi mareactivate..kahit na p.u,k pwdi pa din reactivate.,but the bank account the time na madisclose the bank said it never reactivate..and the statement of account cannot find..kasi po i need a copy if my statement if account in bpi..if theres any possibility that i can get a copy of my statement of account..sir i need your advice po and if may na encounter na po kayo same circumstances like my problem in bpi..tnx po ..pm princeyuri25@yahoo.com

21. Nors on March 24th, 2013 2:35 am

Hi yuri, banks close accounts if these accounts have zero balances or if they fall below the maintaining balance for 2 consecutive months and there’s no more balance to deduct the penalty from. Visit your branch and ask them if you can reactivate your account and the amount of penalty you will pay. After it has been reactivated, then you can request for a statement of account.

22. yuri on March 24th, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks po sa replied..ask ko lang po sana..if possible po ba na mareactivate nila yun and possible to request my previus bank statement of account..if theres any circumstances same story that possible it can happen to reactivate bank account in the philippines

23. Nors on March 25th, 2013 9:55 am

Hi yuri, you mean they already closed your account? They must have a valid reason why they closed your account. You go to your bank with your IDs and ask if you can reactivate your account. If not, then you open a new one. Usually, you cannot get a statement of account if your account is closed — it’s nearly the same as not having an account.

24. yuri on March 25th, 2013 3:26 pm

Hello..yes they closed my atm account without any letter or email came from the bank..or maybe they dont do this because they know before they closed they explained it to me the time i open a bank account thru atm..im only recieve a letter once buts not a letter of informing to close my account..only welcome and thanks letter that i open a bank account in bpi..so u mean that i cant get a copy of my statement of account ..if theres any possible way thst the bank can give my previus account even it is inactive.

25. yuri on March 25th, 2013 3:31 pm

Grabe naman bangko natin here in the philippines.even a back up files of statement of account wala..what if the court asking a copy of statement of account even it is inactive,the bank will answer the question that they cannot give..wala talaga silang record ..haist

26. yuri on March 25th, 2013 3:48 pm

After all the deduction monthly the customer will not satisfy the services that they have even a back up bank statement the time that the account is inactive..i hope that all bank here innthe philippines will provide or have a system that can track a record even the account is inactive..

27. Nors on March 25th, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi yuri, I think if a court orders BPI to produce a statement for a recently closed account, the bank will. Have you gone to your bank to ask about reactivation?

28. yuri on March 26th, 2013 11:41 am

Hello po..i went to bpi a while ago.ang thanks God that they granted my request to give a copy of my statement of account. My atm card possible to reactivate but only one chance..in the next time that it will close the bank never give u another chance.but even i dont reactivate it the important is they give me a copy of my bank statement..within 1 week i will recieve it..thanks again po..

29. yuri on March 26th, 2013 11:44 am

Also the bank can give only one chance to reactivate your bank account but u need to pay the previus month or the penalty ..or if u dont like ..good to have new account.,base in the bank where i enrolled..

30. Nors on March 26th, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi yuri, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences. Others will learn from your experience. It’s good that they granted your request even if your account was not reactivated.

31. yuri on March 26th, 2013 5:34 pm

Your welcome po..yes its good to hear that the bank especially bpi that they give a chance even once to reactivate the inactive account..and also even the account is closed ,you can request a copy of statement of account..most important if others encounter this kind of problem its better to go personally in the bank..staff bpi are kind and it help u the best that they can do to thier clients..thanks again and takecare.

32. TedOfNod on March 28th, 2013 8:30 am

Thank you very much sir, you’re helping so many people with their banking problems. I hope you can help me with mine.
    Problem:
    My account hit zero when I withdrew from an ATM two days ago (March 26), though i believe I still have a few cents in there. From what I’ve read, Metrobank closes accounts when they hit zero.
    Questions:
    1. With the few cents still in my account, will it be counted as a “zero balance”?
    2. I want to save my acct. How much time do I have to deposit before the bank closes my acct.?
    3. If the bank has already closed my acct., may I reactivate it? And could you tell me how?

33. Nors on March 28th, 2013 11:10 am

Hi yuri, it’s great that BPI treated you well and you have great appreciation for them. best regards

34. Nors on March 28th, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi TedOfNod, in the past, Metrobank had some of its banks open during holidays. If you can see a branch open, then make a deposit. If not, then try to make a balance inquiry on April 1, and if it’s still active, you make a deposit. About how much, it depends Is this the atm account? The one whose maintaining balance requirement is 3k? Make sure that you maintain the balance requirement this April to avoid 2 consecutives months of falling below the required maintaining balance. Some banks allow reactivation of accounts after closure but they charge penalties; some do not allow. http://www.banksphilippines.com/2012/04/ano-ang-minimum-monthly-average-daily.html

35. yuri on March 28th, 2013 8:05 pm

hello..dont worry if your account in metro bank is zero..before i have a metro bank..almost 3months i never deposit even one peso..but my account was not close..but the time i deposit .the bank deducted my money that i deposited.,but its ok because its the bank rules..but i advice you never do what i did..if u can deposited do it..my maintaining bakance of metro bank is 2000 pesos based on my experience..

36. yuri on March 28th, 2013 8:08 pm

avoid your bank account will be closed because we never know if the bank give u chances to reactivate it..but based on my experience bank give to reactivate your bank account only once..if it is happen you should go to the bank personally..just read my previus message here..thanks

37. yuri on March 28th, 2013 8:34 pm

what i mean..before my account was zero..almost 2 to 3 months,,but the bank dont closed my account,the time i deposit money it automatically deducted it..its a bank rule..the maintaning balance of metro bank to avoid deduction is 2000 pesos..if the time your bank account was closed its better to go in the bank personally..the bank give only one chance to reactivate the bank account..in short to avoid problems in the future just obey the bank policy..other client they dont reactivate there account because the time they reactivate it u should pay the monthly penalty of the bank.thats why clients dont want to reactivate and they request new account..

38. yuri on March 28th, 2013 8:38 pm

if anyone knows free legal advice and can assure that they response..i try several times here to search and to sent a mail but no one response..can u give me even one lawyer who can give legal advice for free and can answer my problems as soon as possible thanks.

39. Nors on March 29th, 2013 11:56 am

Hi yuri, have you tried pinoylawyer.org? You can try PAO if the phone is not so busy: 24/7 central office counselling via hotline : +(63-2)-9299436 Local 159 (After Office Hours) Email. pao_executive@yahoo.com. Walk-in queries are also entertained at Department of Justice Action Center (DOJAC) along Padre Faura. The College of Law of these schools also offer legal aid: UP, San Beda and San Sebastian

40. yuri on March 29th, 2013 8:28 pm

thanks po sa info..happy weekend and easter sunday..take care always

41. Nors on March 30th, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi yuri, thanks, that’s sweet. Take care too! Hope you resolve your legal concern soon.

42. yuri on March 30th, 2013 6:52 pm

welcome po..sa mga want po ako i add thru facebook heres my account princeyuri25@yahoo.com thanks a lot..

43. Janine on April 17th, 2013 12:18 am

Your post is very helpful. now i know the reason why my bdo account is full of charges!

44. Manuel G. Creencia on April 19th, 2013 6:27 pm

Just want to verify if Metrobank is an affiliated bank for SSS pensioners. Just in case,is there a need to meet their maintenance balance as usually pension for retirement is relatively small.

45. Nors on April 19th, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi Manuel, yes, Metrobank is an accredited SSS pension partner. Based on Metrobank’s website, there’s a maintaining balance of 100 pesos for SSS pension accounts, whether passbook or atm. You’ll be charged 300 pesos if you don’t maintain 100 pesos for 2 consecutive months. So always leave 100 pesos there.

46. Marbert Meneses on April 25th, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi,this is marbert meneses, presently working abroad(Khobar Saudi Arabia) just want to apply a credit card under BDO or Metrobank.

Thank you so much.

God Bless….

47. Nors on April 25th, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi Marbert, you can’t apply for a credit card at institutions here if you’re not here. For OFWs, what banks are offering are secured credit cards. You deposit an amount, which becomes your collateral. You cannot withdraw this amount until you surrender you card, or the bank has decided that you’re a good payor. Your credit limit will be about 80 to 90% of your deposit amount.

48. youngmom on May 1st, 2013 5:36 am

Hello! Your such a great help.. I have read almost all of the comments but the metrobank prepaid crd was mentioned once.. If you could give me some information about it would be very hepful. Does it have an initial amount of deposit? can i use it to book flight in any airline? Can i use it in any hotel? I hope you will have time to respond.. thank you!

49. Nors on May 1st, 2013 8:00 am

Hi youngmom, the Metrobank Mastercard prepaid card is newly launched, so there’s little info shared by users about it online. I checked this card at the Metrobank website, and it does not say something about online use. But based on the photo of the card, it has a 16-digit no. and an expiry date. If the card has a 3-security code at the back, then perhaps it can be used online. Or Metrobank is still looking into its online use, so it can’t yet be used online. The prepaid cards that you can use to book a flight or a hotel are these: BPI Mastercard prepaid card , Union Bank Eon Visa debit card , Smart Money card for online purchases , PSBank Mastercard prepaid card . To use any of these prepaid cards, you should load money before using.

50. mike on August 5th, 2013 11:12 pm

hello, i have 2 accounts with metrobank, a deit account and an atm account i recently had issues with them that prompted me to move my money to a different bank since last month. when i checked my account online, they are both negative now for falling below balance.

i plan to close these accounts formally. will i be paying the charges?

51. Nors on August 6th, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi mike, I’m puzzled your accounts are not yet closed, and that your Metrobank Internet banking is still active (unless you have a credit account with them). You should not be paying charges because these accounts should have automatically closed upon reaching zero or negative. Based on other banks’ policies, I think you’ll only be made to pay for the charges if you reactivate the accounts.

52. mari on August 7th, 2013 11:24 am

Hi I tried opening an acct with bdo, and was rejected cost of an outstanding debt from other banks.,, are all banks like this? What abt bpi? Are they the same? Thanks mari22

53. Nors on August 7th, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi mari22, it’s my first time hearing about being rejected for that reason, unless you were opening a checking account. Banks are indeed strict with checking accounts. But if you were opening a savings account, I think you shouldn’t be rejected. But BDO must have a policy or reason that I don’t know yet. Yes, try BPI and other banks.

54. mike on August 7th, 2013 12:17 pm

salamat po sa reply. hindi sila credit account. savings at debit account yung isa. both of them have minimum maintaining balance of P2,000. malayo po kasi location nung bank, and im busy as well, kaya hindi ko naasikaso. siguro mas better hindi ko na check sa online access para close na lang nila. i sent them an email na rin naman notifying na i wont be using those accounts anymore. wala lang akong time magpunta ng bank.

55. mari on August 7th, 2013 3:39 pm

Actually it was when I submitted all the reqt’s that they found out that I have an outstanding debt. They ask me to settle the said amount first before I open an acct. Anyways I’ll try with bpi and will let you know how it turned out. Thanks for your prompt reply. -mari22

56. Nors on August 8th, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi mari, thanks for sharing info. will be a big help for others

57. mike on September 15th, 2013 8:34 am

update from my last post dated aug 7th, opened pa rin yung account, at lumaki na yung negative balance. will i be sued for not paying service fee?

58. Nors on September 15th, 2013 11:01 am

Hi mike, I’m not a lawyer, but no, you cannot be sued, because the bank should have automatically close your account when it reached zero or negative. Over the years, all bank accounts (Metrobank, BDO, BPI, etc) that I left unattended all closed automatically and I never had any problem. You can read also at various Pinoy forums about this. Saka wala naman akong nabasa about the requirement to close one’s account formally sa rules sa mga passbook. Ang alam ko iko-close mo lang ang account formally kung gusto mong makuha up to the cents.
    Palagay ko, napataon sa system glitch yong account mo, at hindi na-capture ng system, kaya meron ka pa ring online account. Opinion ko lang ha.
    I had one Metrobank account which was automatically-closed account, and the account no. still appears in my online account (have other accounts with them), but if I click it, it says Record cannot be found.
    Ask others too; post mo sa pinoymoneytalk.com forum or sa pinoyexchange.com forum

59. Naoimi on September 24th, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi,

I’d like to ask about my BPI Savings account. Last year, it was a Payroll account opened by my previous employer. I resigned last September 2012 so it was changed into a Savings account by default. However, I was not able to deposit to the account since it was only recently that I’ve known it was converted to a Savings account.

Now, I’ll be using the BPI account as a payroll account once again (I submitted the details of my existing BPI account to my new employer). Only then I realized that BPI has service charges for not maintaining the MADB.

My question is, will I be charged the service charge for almost 1 YEAR of not maintaining the MADB of my account? Note that this will now be a payroll account by this month and payroll accounts do not have MADB.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you very much!

Naoimi

60. Nors on September 25th, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Naomi, if the bank told you it was converted into a regular savings account, I think you will be charged for the months it was below the maintaining balance because you’re reopening it. That would be around 10 or 11 x 300 pesos; it’s more practical to open a new account. But ask your BPI branch too.

61. Heather on October 18th, 2013 4:52 am

I really seem to agree with all the things that was in fact put into writing within “BPI,
    BDO, Metrobank Fees — Why Keep Paying Them | Working Pinoy”.
    Thanks a lot for pretty much all the actual tips.
    Thanks for your time-Rick

62. jevie on December 25th, 2013 12:19 pm

Hello po. question q lng. My metrobank account has been zero balance for 6 months. well they automatically close my account? Kung hindi po, mgkano kaya ang mababayaran kung charges? And since i open my account in Leyte? Can i still be able to deposit a money here in manila? mgkanu din kya ang charges? kung pwd ko pang mahulogan?

tnx po,
    jv

63. Nora on December 25th, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi jevie, I think your account is already closed. The branch in Leyte might allow you to reopen your account if you pay the below-maintaining-balance-penalty (300 pesos x 5 months). If you’re staying here in Metro Manila, I suggest you open a new account here.

64. rona sabio on February 23rd, 2014 8:39 am

Hi good morning. May run lng po akong tanong hindi ako nakapag deposit almost 2 years sa metro bank ngunit my bal pa ako 2,900 sa passbook account ko then nun pumunta ako sa metro bank para mag deposit ang sabi sa akin close na daw dahil matagal akong d naghuhulog. Paano po ba dapat kong gawin.

65. Nora on February 25th, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi rona, sori at nawala na ang iyong pera sa Metrobank mo at hindi mo na mababawi pa. Kasi ang maintaining balance ng Metrobank passbook account ay 10,000 pesos. Ang 2,900 mo ay naubos for monthly penalty na 250 pesos for falling below the maintaining balance. After about 12 months, naubos na sa penalty ang pera mo (250 x 12 months = 3,000).

66. aYRHEEN on March 15th, 2014 7:21 am

i have an OFW BPI cash card,my friend deposited 200$ on my account, when i found out that my account was no longer effective,I believe that if it is OFW cash card they don’t require a maintaining balance, so how it was in effective already??? because i tried to withdraw the said money which was sent to me tru online bank transfer, and it said card is ineffective, what will i do then, do i have to go the bank and reactivate it??please help me what to .do

67. Nora on March 15th, 2014 9:52 am

Hi aYTHEEN, BPI cash cards do not have a maintaining balance requirement, but they have an expiry date, after 2 years — written on your card. You said it was through online bank transfer, how so? Is this a remittance from abroad done through Xoom or other online remittance companies? You can go to your BPI branch and ask. You can ask your sender for the transaction reference no. and date of transfer and name of remittance company if there’s a company used.

68. Jen on March 25th, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi! I am so glad I found you!
    I opened an account overseas with Metrobank through the foreign exchange company here in Kuwait. I received a preembossed card and I deposited money in it. Went to Philippines that year for vacation and then have not touch the account eversince OCTOBER 2012.
    I am still overseas and planning another Philippine vacation so I called the branch of the ATM card to inquire and they told me there is a service charge of 900pesos? How is this calculated?
    I don’t think I left much money in the acct.
    Do you think it’s better to just open a new account rather than reviving the old acct and paying the service charge?
    What bank do you suggest that is more friendlier to overseas people?

69. Nora on March 25th, 2014 11:12 pm

Hi Jen, I think your OFW account was converted into a regular passbook account in Oct 2013 because you did not remit to it from abroad. Since the balance is below 10k (kasi sabi mo not much money left), the 300-peso penalty for below-maintaining-balance started in Dec 2013, then Jan and Feb — that’s 3 x 300 pesos. Yes, if it’s not worth it paying the service charge, just open a new account, and then enroll it in online banking so you can track it while abroad.
    You can try BDO Kabayan account — it’s also a zero-maintaining-balance account; but you need to remit to it at least once in 12 months. But if you put 10k in it and not touch it, then even if it’s converted into a regular passbook account, it does not incur a penalty. But do not let 2 years pass without making at least 1 deposit or withdrawal transaction because it will become dormant.
    After opening and depositing some amount, enroll it in online banking so you can check your balance while you’re abroad– you need to do the enrollment here in the Phils because you’re required to validate your enrollment via a BDO atm machine.

70. Home on April 15th, 2014 6:23 pm

Hello! I have a Dollar Account at Metrobank and this April 2014 I ask my nephew to deposit $1 to avoid dormancy but they said my account is INACTIVE already. I am out of the country and have no chance to visit my bank. I have $792 USD balance at my account. Do you know how much penalty fee I have to pay and how to reactivate my account again without going to the bank? Thank you for your help and advice.

71. Nora on April 16th, 2014 12:07 am

Hi Home, I checked the maintaining balance for a Metrobank dollar account, and it’s 500 USD, so there should be no penalty charged for your dormant account since its balance is above 500.
    Reactivating your account requires your personal appearance at the bank. But ask your nephew to go to or call Metrobank and ask if you can reactivate your account by sending a copy of your passport/valid IDs by postal mail from abroad plus a letter of request for reactivation.