Can I Claim My Philippine SSS Pension Even if I’m Already a Citizen of Another Country?


Add a Comment
  1. Hi kim, your mom will continue to receive her pension as long as she does not remarry and does not cohabit with another man. She also needs to file her SSS ACOP every year, around 30 days before her birthday. Is your mom receiving her pension abroad through a Visa card?

  2. yes she does file it every yr. would that be every 30 days of my moms bday or my dad? cause shes getting this sss from my dad when he passed. also its direct to the bank not visa.

  3. I’m living in the us can I file my retirement online or do I need to go home and file it myself

  4. Hi alicia, SSS does not yet have a system for online filing for pensions. Check if there’s an SSS near your location, so you can file your pension claim there. You can also download all the needed forms from the SSS website, then print them, accomplish them, then authorize someone to process your pension claim via a SPA (docs can be sent through a courier). You can request beforehand from SSS using this email address a Visa debit card application form (this form is not downloadable from their forms page) so you can accomplish it.

  5. SSS Pension recipient, now just turned 67 (July 18, 1949 born). She lost her China Bank Trust Debit SSS Pension Bank Card 2 months ago in Sydney, Australia. Please advise how to get a replacement Bank Card. Any instructions to apply for replacement of lost bank card.
    Thank you for your kind attention.

  6. Hello Nora,

    I left the country last 2014 and immigrated in Canada. I have previous contributions to PAG-IBIG AND SSS and I’m planning to continue the contribution.

    1. Can I get the same benefits from my PAG-IBIG and SSS like pensions, if I become a Canadian Citizen? (I’m planning to have a dual citizenship)

    2. I stopped my contribution since I left for 2 years (PAG-IBIG AND SSS). Is it okay to pay the number of years that I didn’t paid while continuing my monthly contribution?

    3. Is it okay to pay (PAG-IBIG and SSS) quarterly or bi annually?

    4. What do you think is the ideal contribution for pag-ibig 1 since they don’t have a table of contribution like the SSS? Is is the more you contribute monthly the bigger your benefits after you retire? I am planning also to register in MP2.

    4. I have the maximum contribution for SSS when i left the country.Is it that the last 5 years of contribution has a significant impact in your pension? Which one is better.

    a) continue paying with the maximum; or
    b) continue paying with the minimum then increase to maximum in the last 5 years of your retirement or before you reach 65 years old.

    Please enlighten me and I will be waiting for your response. Thank you.

  7. Hi Tram, thanks for commenting here: 1. Yes, you get the same benefits from SSS and Pag-ibig even if you become a dual or Canadian citizen. 2. No, you’re not allowed to pay for past years or quarters. There are payment deadlines. For SSS and Pag-ibig, what you can pay this month is for July and onwards. 3. Yes, to save on remittance fees, it’s practical to pay every 3 or 6 months 4. For Pag-ibig, you can just pay the monthly minimum which is 200 pesos, and then pay 500 pesos or more to MP2. MP2 gives a higher interest than P1 and you can also claim this after 5 years or renew it for another 5 years. 5. Yes, it’s true that the pension amount will be based on your last 60 monthly contributions before your semester of retirement. You might want to choose b). The current minimum for overseas Pinoys is 550 pesos. Then start paying the maximum when you turn 54 and 5 months (you can stop at 59 and 5 or 6 months–this is because of the “semester of retirement” phrase). Check on contribution change rules from time to time — they might change the rules again. By the way, if your heirs need to get a higher amount from SSS in case something happens, you might want to choose a).

  8. Hello Nora, Great. One last thing, my previous contributions in SSS won’t matter for my lump sum, for as long as i have to pay the maximum amount for the last 60 months then I should get the maximum amount, too? Thank you very much in advance fro your response.

  9. Hello Nora. I migrated to Australia year 2000. Before that I worked in the Philippines for a total of 5 years (less than 120 contributions). I have a colleague here in Australia who migrated in 1996 and before he left, he was able to claim ALL his SSS contributions. He said he was able to do this as he mentioned that he is no longer going back to the Philippines hence no more future contributions. I don’t plan to make any more contributions myself and that I have less than the 120 required monthly contributions to qualify for pension. Am I able to get my previous contributions as a lump sum same as what my colleague? My colleague got the lump sum when he was in his 30’s. I’m 39 years old.

    Sorry I posted this originally in a wrong blog subject.


  10. Hi Joe, I wonder how your colleague was able to withdraw all his SSS contributions, as this practice was disallowed starting 1964, according to the March 2012 SSS Newsletter. The SSS FAQ page also says that withdrawal of SSS membership is not allowed. What I know is SSS contributions can be refunded if they’re paid by a member who does not have a Date of Coverage, meaning he was not registered by an employer and did not register as self-employed. It’s also possible your colleague was served by an SSS officer who found a valid reason to make a Refund, and not release a withdrawal.
    I’m not sure if it will be successful, but if you decide so, when you take your vacation here, you can try requesting for a Refund of all your SSS contributions at the main office in Diliman, also saying you’re already an Australian citizen and you’re not coming back to the Phils, and see if you can get back your contributions too.

  11. I have paid the maximum monthly contributions of 126. AT present i am working in New Zealand, applying for a permanent residency.If I stop paying contribution, what is the effect on my pension? Some advice, to continue paying because the basis of computation is based on the last paid contributions. Should I continue paying until I reach the retirement period. Will it be beneficial on my part? Please advise what to do.I am 34 years old only.

  12. Hi reyofel, I’ll reply to you in a post so it will be read by more people. I’ll put OFW in the post title, although you’ll soon to be a resident. I’ll give you the link later.

  13. Hi Good Day.How about I am not already a pensioner and ill become citizen of another country what step i am going to do to claim my contribution or can i withdraw or pullout it?or can i continue the contribution even if im on another country?and will get pension when im old?

  14. Hi Marivic, sorry you’re not allowed to withdraw your SSS contributions. Your options: 1. stop contributing, then file your claim upon turning 60 (pension, if you have 120 contributions, and lump sum if you have less than 120). 2. Continue contributing to accumulate 120 contributions or to accumulate more than 120 to have a higher pension amount. Take note that the basis of pension computation is your last 60 contributions and the number of years you contributed. Yes, you can claim your pension even if you’re already a citizen of another country.

  15. i am a filipina widow and receiving a survival pension. i am going to UK to marry my British fiance. my question is..can i still receive my survival pension after marrying my British fiance in UK?

  16. Hi Tria, I think it’s better that you inform SSS when you get back. Or if you like, there’s also a SSS branch there in the UK. In your pension voucher, there could be instructions in your pension voucher about this requirement to report. In the SSS death claim form that you signed when you filed your claim, there are these statements:
    5. I will immediately notify the SSS in case any of the above listed children die, marry or become employed, or I cohabit or remarry.
    Wish you all the best in your marriage!

  17. mum did not received her pension for 10 months.SSS instruct me to make a replacement for unclaimed pension in order to clear the check. They will back pay her as long as she will request for replacement.. what is this replacement means? replacing an old sss card? is that what they asking for..My mum is here residing in Australia..Can you PLEASE help me make a letter of replacement of unclaimed pension? Thank you very much..God Bless

  18. Hi. My mother died last year and my sister did not declare it to Sss until the lending company she owed has contacted us. We pay her remaining balance in her loan then from there my family declares her death in Sss. They asked us to submit and fill up necessary documents since i still have a sister receiving pension. Though it took months before my sister completed the documents. My inquiry now, would it still be possible to claim my sister’s pension from the previous months? Thank you

  19. I am a US citizen, I have changed my my last name to my maiden name when I took my US citizenship.. can i still collect my survivor pension? And how..thank you

  20. Hi Lorna, yes, you can claim your SSS pension when you turn 60. To facilitate your claim later on, change your personal data asap, so your SSS records will match your current passport and other IDs. Do you live near the SSS office in the U.S.? You can file your data change there.
    Philippine Consulate General
    447 Sutter Street, 7th Floor, Suite 701
    San Francisco, California, USA 94108
    Representative: Marites C. Marin
    If not, download this form: will get back

  21. Good day! I’m a permanent residence here in Canada married to a Canadian Citizen contributing over 17 years in SSS as an employee. Before I left Philippines, I opted to continue my contributions in a monthly basis to a maximum contribution as Voluntary member. My question is, can I still avail my pension once I reach 60 even if I will change my citizenship? Any recommendation, if it’s advisable to continue my contribution until I reach my retirement age? Can I ask further on how to compute monthly pension? Thank you & anticipating your favorable reply to this matter.

  22. Hi Lyn, yes, kahit hindi ka na Filipino citizen at Canadian citizen ka na at the time of your retirement, you will still get your pension. Maraming nagpe-pension abroad who are no longer Filipino citizens. Dalawa kasi ang basis ng pension amount: 1. yong average ng last 60 monthly salary credits mo (AMSC) at 2. yong number of credited years of service (CYS). The higher these 2 numbers, the higher the pension. So siempre, if you continue paying, you are increasing your CYS. The ideal situation would be yong last 60 salary credits ay puro maximum.
    Ang pension is the higher result of these two: 1st: 40% x AMSC or 2nd: 300 + [(20% x AMSC) + (2% x AMSC) x (CYS-10)]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Working Pinoy © 2008-2016 Frontier Theme