One of my neighbors who is an OFW has been making wise real estate investments here in our subdivision in Muntinlupa. He buys abandoned and foreclosed homes here, repairs them, and then rent them out to good tenants.
He has already bought 3 units. And all three are being rented out. And all the tenants are good payors. Indeed, he has been lucky.
But it is not all Luck. It takes determination to save money. It takes also cooperation between the husband working abroad and the wife taking care of the children.
If this OFW accumulates 10 units of rental homes, then he can depend on rental income for a comfortable life after he stops working abroad.
Why is he successful when others investing in real estate are not?
1. He lives in the subdivision, so he already knows good things about the area:
Lots of prospective renters
Near commercial centers
Transportation to and from urban centers
Continuous developments along Daang Hari
2. Availability of foreclosed and abandoned properties in the subdivision
Abandoned and foreclosed = these 2 words are great for an investor. Wala kang kelangang paalisin na occupants. Maraming foreclosed homes na sasabak ka muna sa giyera ng utak, pera, tapang at koneksiyon bago aalis ang occupants.
3. He has CASH. Mas madaling tumawad sa seller ng foreclosed property kung hawak mo na ang CASH.
Saan galing ang cash? Sa pagtatrabaho sa abroad at sa pagtitipid. Sa tulong ng asawa at mga anak.
4. He does his Math well. Magkano ba ang pang-repair sa property na ito? Baka meron pang available na foreclosed na mas madaling i-repair kesa ito..
What other important things that a real investor must investigate?
1. Owner, Seller and Title of property
Yong nagbebenta ba ay siya ang owner o authorized agent ng owner?
2. Clean title ba?
Baka naka-mortgage pala ang property sa bangko. Go to the area’s Register of Deeds.
3. Meron bang title?
Baka wala pang sariling title ang lote kasi hindi pa na-subdivide. Pinag-aawayan pa pala kung paano hahatiin ang property.
O baka ang title ng buong lote ng subdivision ay isinanla ng developer sa bank, kaya hindi pa magawa ang titles for the lots.
4. Kung foreclosed property ang prospect mo na bibilhin, nag-research ka na ba kung ano ang foreclosure process sa Philippines?