Pag-ibig Fund — How to Claim Death Benefits

Updated February 10, 2015

You can claim death benefits from Pag-ibig Fund only if you’re a legal heir or beneficiary of a Pag-ibig member who has died.

However, you can file a claim if you’re an authorized representative with a Special Power of Attorney (SPA), or a member’s court-appointed administrator or executor.

Pag-ibig death benefits consist of only two:

1. Provident Benefit. The amount of this is equal to the member’s Total Accumulated Values (TAV). TAV is the total of the following:

– all contributions made by the member
– all contributions made by the member’s employers for the member
– all dividends credited by Pag-ibig to the member’s account

Note: Salary loan balances or due housing loan amortizations will be deducted from the TAV.

2. Death benefit. The amount of this benefit is 6,000 pesos. This benefit is less than 6,000 if the TAV total and membership status at the time of death is less than 6,000 pesos.

List of primary legal heirs or beneficiaries:

– Spouse (wife or husband)
– Children, whether legitimate, illegitimate, or legally adopted
– Parents of member

List of secondary legal heirs or beneficiaries:

– Grandparents of member (father’s side and mother’s side)
– Brothers and sisters of member
– Nephews and nieces of member
– Other nearest relatives

Note: For the distribution or sharing of benefits, the intestate succession rules contained in the New Family Code is followed.



1. Application for Provident Benefits (APB) Claim (Pag-ibig form)
2. Death Certificate of Pag-ibig member, issued by NSO
3. Notarized Proof of Surviving Legal Heirs (Pag-ibig form)
4. Notarized Affidavit of Guardianship
(if children are 18 years old and younger, or physically/mentally handicapped children)
5. Birth certificates of all children, issued by NSO, if the member has children

6. Marriage certificate, issued by NSO if member is married
7. Birth certificate of member, if claimants are the parents, or if the member has no children

8. Birth certificates of siblings, if the member has no children and parents are already deceased
9. Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR), issued by NSO, if member is single
10. Two valid ID cards of claimant
11. Other documents required by Pag-ibig Fund upon filing of claim (Funeral receipt may be required)

Valid IDs:
Driver’s license
Voter’s ID
Postal ID
Company ID
GSIS e-Card
Seaman’s ID.

You can download the required Pag-ibig claim forms here: PAG-IBIG FORMS



File your Provident benefit claim at the Pag-ibig Fund branch where the Pag-ibig member or employer has remitted the most or latest contributions. If the member had multiple employers, check if the member’s contributions are already consolidated in the branch where you are filing.

If the legal heirs or beneficiaries are unable to file the Pag-ibig Fund Death Benefit themselves, the claim can be filed by their authorized representative, their appointed court administrator or executor.

Any authorized representative is required to present a Special Power of Attorney (SPA) (Use Pag-ibig Fund SPA Form FCP014), his or her valid IDs, and the valid IDs of the member and beneficiaries.


Add a Comment
  1. Hi Nap, sad to say, when you got all your contributions and dividends in 2007, your Pag-ibig membership was also automatically terminated, so your heirs will not be eligible to claim a death benefit from Pag-ibig

  2. hi, how is it if the spouse of the member, who is the beneficiary, is also already deceased, can the benefits still be claimed? Or can the member’s child claim?

  3. Hi xoxo, yes, the child or children of the deceased member are qualified to claim. The child/children are primary beneficiaries. The NSO birth certificates of the child or children are required. Other docs required: NSO death certificate of member, NSO death cert of spouse, Application for Provident Benefits Claim form, Proof of Surviving Legal Heirs form, IDs of claimants, Affidavit of Guardianship (if children are minors). If parents of deceased member are still alive, waiver from them might be required.

  4. Hi po, if for example a member paid only 2 contributions and the he died, what benefits be given to beneficiaries?

  5. Hi Rowena, sad to say, the beneficiaries will get back only about twice the 2 contributions. For example, he contributed 2 contributions of 200 pesos each (200 pesos from him and 200 pesos from his employer), his beneficiaries will get back the 400 pesos plus 400 pesos in death benefit and a few pesos worth of dividends. Control your expenses in claiming and in producing the documents so you won’t waste money in claiming.

  6. Will my father get benefits? He’s a member of pag ibig. My father passed away aug 25. what are the requirements needed?

  7. Hi jhong, if your father did not claim his Pag-ibig benefits when he was still alive, you can claim his benefits. Requirements are listed in the above post. You can also see the list here: Application for Provident Benefit form, Proof of Surviving Legal Heirs, NSO birth certificates of children, NSO marriage cert of wife, NSO death certificate of father, photocopies of 2 valid IDs (bring original IDs).

  8. Hi armie, if your husband did not claim his benefits when he was still alive, yes, you can file your claim at your husband’s Pag-ibig branch. It’s most likely that he was not able to claim if he did not accumulate 240 monthly contributions and if he passed away before turning 60.

  9. Hello! Just want to ask. Will I get both provident benefit and death benefit? I was just wondering about my Dad’s contributions and if it will be refunded to me (only heir) besides the death benefit. Pag Ibig gave me my Dad’s contributions, will I also get the TAV?

  10. Hi Mags, the Provident benefit and death benefit will be given to you in one lump sum, in a single check. If your Dad’s TAV is 6,000 pesos or more, the death benefit is 6,000 pesos (this is the maximum death benefit amount).

  11. Hi. Just asking how long it will take to wait after filling those documents needed for death claims and can i file it any branch of pag ibig? Thank you and Godbless

  12. Hi Maricel, you must file at the Pag-ibig branch where the deceased member’s company remitted contributions. If the location requires air travel or long travel, you can ask assistance from the branch in your area. The legal heir gets the TAV and the death benefit in a single check. The death benefit amount (maximum is 6,000 pesos) depends on the TAV amount.

  13. Hi, would like to know how can we get the check voucher for the Death Claim of my father? This was already approved. Where can we get the cheque?

  14. Hi carisa, you get it at the branch where you filed your claim. Bring valid IDs. Do you have an acknowledgement stub? Usually there’s a phone no. there for follow-up.

  15. Can we file death claim with pag ibig at a branch other than the branch of account? We have no Idea since it’s the company that process things for their employees. Thanks po

  16. Hi Renmar, you should file your claim at the branch where the member’s records are. You can call the company to ask which Pag-ibig branch are they transacting with. Usually it’s the branch nearest the company location.

  17. my mother is a retired government employee. she passed away recently. is there any funeral or burial benefit available to the heirs? thanks

  18. Hi! I’m now an orphan. I went to pag ibig and was asked for 2 valid ids of witnesses that is not a family member. Any idea about this? I went 2 weeks ago.

  19. Hi! How long does it usually take for them to release the check? I have already submitted all documents and they are now processing it. Thank you!

  20. Gud day po, how can I file my death claim because my husband and I were not married, but we have a child together. And he died in Davao but he worked here in Manila. And the funeral receipt was in his older sister’s name because her sister let her St. peter plan used for her brother.

  21. Hi, are the requirements above is same as for OFW member? Appreciate your prompt response on this. Thank you very much.

  22. Hi Yvette, yes, the same requirements for all types of members, since this is a death claim. The beneficiaries can file for the death claim (provident benefits plus death benefit) if the Pag-ibig member has not claimed all his Pag-ibig benefits when he was alive.

  23. Hi Juliet, sad to say, you’re not eligible to claim as spouse because Pag-ibig will require you to submit an NSO marriage certificate. But your child is qualified to claim. You will file as guardian of your child. You can ask your husband’s sister if they like you to file for the claim in behalf of your child and your husband’s parents and siblings since you’re here in Manila, and it’s better to file in the Pag-ibig branch where your husband’s company remitted his contributions. The main beneficiaries will be your child and your husband’s parents (because he’s single). The secondary beneficiaries will be the siblings (in case parents have already passed away). Look at this Pag-ibig document: Proof of Surviving Legal Heirs.
    With SSS, you can file for your child’s SSS pension (I’m assuming he’s younger than 21), or share of the benefit (if member had less than 36 contributions) separately from your husband’s family.

  24. Hi Kevin, usually it takes 3 weeks to 1 month. And usually Pag-ibig gives a stub with an estimated time frame for processing and a phone no. to call for follow-up.

  25. Thanks for the answer, Nora. It’d been 3 weeks actually and I wish to follow up the claim. However, the number they gave me never rings and I can’t also get in Pag-ibig’s hotline. I don’t live far from the office where I filed the claim (Cubao) but do you know if there are possibly any phone numbers I could still call? Thank you again for your help. :)

  26. Hi Kevin, this is Pag-ibig Cubao’s phone no.: 422-3000. Or try calling the hotline 724-4244 late at night or dawn. :)

  27. good day po maam nora,paano po kung bigyan ako ng karapatan ng ate nya na maging SPA to file po yung docs sa pagibig,kasi nagtatrabaho kc sya sa davao,eh dto ko po kasi ifile sa manila,ok po ba un?salamat po.

  28. Thanks again, Nora. I was able to get in their hotline at around 1 in the morning. They told me that the claim has been posted last Sept. 23 and I could follow-up again after a week for the check.

    I do have another question. I was browsing at my father’s files and I just realized that at the time of his death, he’s worked for a total of 20 years (which means 240 contributions). However, when I filed the claim in Cubao, the computation that they gave me is only for 108 contributions. But they informed me he has contributions also in Calamba (where he worked for more than half of the 20 years). Is it possible that the computation they gave me does not include his contributions in Calamba?

  29. Hi Kevin, that’s good you were able to connect with them. About your father’s contributions: Did your father work from 1986 to 1995? If yes, Pag-ibig was made optional from Jan 1987 to Jan 1995 by Pres Cory Aquino, and most employees did not opt to contribute. Also most months in 1986, most employers did not collect because Pag-ibig was temporarily suspended from collecting contributions. If he didn’t work during those years, then you should ask Pag-ibig when you go there to get your check if his Calamba contributions were included in their computation. Pag-ibig started collecting in 1981, just in case your father started working before 1981. Hope you can comment again about the reason, thanks.

  30. Yes. He actually started working 1988. I did some research and found out contributions were made optional.

    My father only had one employer from 1988 to 2002. However, he was transferred from their Calamba office to another office in 1997. I was actually able to come up with the number of contributions that they showed me if I start counting from 1997 only.

  31. Hi, just want to know if I can claim my father’s benefits from Pag – ibig even though my mother’s still alive? She’s getting tired from all the process that she’s going through. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Working Pinoy © 2008-2014 Frontier Theme