Continuing SSS Membership Contributions for Overseas Filipinos

February 27, 2011 · Filed Under investment, retirement, SSS

Continuing SSS Membership Contributions in the Philippines for Overseas Filipinos, Filipino Immigrants Abroad — Does It Make Financial Sense?

If you’re a Filipino who has become an immigrant or permanent resident abroad, does it make sense if you continue paying your SSS membership contributions in the Philippines as a Voluntary Member?

According to the SSS rules, you can get a lifetime pension if you’ve paid at least 10 years or 120 monthly premiums before your semester of retirement, which is either at age 60 when one has retired from work, or at age 65 when retirement is compulsory.

If the number of your monthly contributions is less than 120, you get a lump sum.

Now, if you’re a permanent resident or immigrant abroad, and you have less than 120 monthly contributions, does it make sense continuing as an SSS voluntary member and completing the required 120 monthly contributions?

On the other hand, if you already have at least 120 monthly contributions, does it make sense continuing as a voluntary member and increasing the number of monthly contributions in the hope that the monthly pension would become higher?

To get a better answer to the above questions, let’s see how SSS computes the retirement benefit or the monthly pension:

A.   For those who have paid less than 120 monthly contributions, the retirement benefit is a lump sum. The amount is equal to the total contributions paid by the member and by his/her employer plus interest.

B.   For those who have paid at least 120 monthly contributions, the monthly pension would be the highest of the following three computations:

1.  40 percent of the average monthly salary credit

2.  300 pesos
plus 20 percent of the average monthly salary credit
plus 2 percent of the average monthly salary credit for each credited year of service in
excess of 10 years

3.   1,200 pesos when the credited years of service is 10 or more but less than 20, or
2,000 pesos when the credited years of service is 20 or more

For formulas Nos. 1 and 2 of letter B, take note that it says average monthly salary credit. (The salary credits are seen in the SSS Contribution Schedule) If you continue as a voluntary member, can you maintain paying the high monthly contributions that you and your previous employers previously paid? Does the plus-2-percent add value if you increase your number of years in excess of 10?

The best answer really is for you to:

• request for a copy of your SSS contributions (the SSS online inquiry can display only 20 years of contributions),
  • and then compute your retirement benefit according to the SSS formula using your actual contributions and salary credits,
  • and then compute using a projected or additional monthly contributions and salary credits,
  • and then compare.

Comments

33 Responses to “Continuing SSS Membership Contributions for Overseas Filipinos”

1. valentino on February 12th, 2013 2:56 pm

seven on February 11th, 201311:45pm
    Hi Nors tanong ko lang kong pwede i contenue ang sss contrubution ko. i stop 2007 until to date 2013. kasi OFW na ako.and i was member of sss from 1996 when i was working in the philippines.thanks.

2. Nors on February 13th, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi valentino, yes, you can continue your SSS contributions as OFW. You can pay via IRemit or Lucky Money or Skyfreight, etc. Keep your receipts. Your payment from abroad will change your category from Employed to OFW. I suggest you enroll in online SSS so you can track your SSS payments. But you need a 6-digit number from the RS5 receipt. Since remittance firms do not have this RS5 form, you can ask someone to pay for you here (perhaps for Feb or March only, or Jan to Mar 2013) using the RS5 form, and then ask for the SBR no. on the RS5 receipt. best regards http://www.workingpinoy.com/2013/02/reasons-enroll-online-sss/

3. shirrymel mamuri on March 11th, 2013 11:55 am

Hi Sir

My mother has been a member of SSS when she has still no husband and she’s using her maiden name that time.And she stop contributing when she got married,became housewife and now she went abroad. Now she wants to continue contributing to her SSS. And me as her daughter wants to pay to said contribution since she is now working abroad. I just want to know how to know her last contribution through online? Should there be any? I want to locate her name but don’t know how, because I want to continue her contribution. Please send me an email, stated above is my email address..Thank you.God Bless..

4. Nors on March 11th, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi shirrymel, ask your mother to update her SSS abroad at the SSS desk (Philipine consulate). She brings her marriage certificate (orig and xerox). Another way is for you to send her 3 E4 forms via postal mail https://sites.google.com/site/informationphilippines/sss-forms/e-4—-member-s-data-amendment-form
    Your mother fills these forms, writes an authorization letter authorizing you to process her SSS papers, and send these to you via postal mail including xerox of her IDs or passport. You submit these to the nearest SSS. Bring your ID too. You should be able to get an approved and stamped copy of E4. Keep this. Ask your mother her preferred amount of contribution:
    Pay one month, using your mother’s married name. When the surname is updated and when your payment is posted, you can enroll your mother in online SSS:

5. david on March 19th, 2013 2:28 pm

hi ma’am
    ang tatay ko po ay 60 na, may 2 years lang po syang hulog sa sss dati lang po kasi syang vendor sa kahirapan po ng buhay ay hindi na nya nahulugan pa. posible po ba na ipagpatuloy ko ang contribution nya.. nais ko po kasi matulungan ang tatay ko ng s pagtanda nya ay may sarili naman po syang pera.
    Maraming Salamat po

6. Nors on March 19th, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi david, yes, you can continue paying for your father. Use RS5 form. Did your father register as self-employed? Does he have his SSS-stamped RS1 form? If you’re not sure, enroll him in online SSS, http://sssphilippinesnotes.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-to-enroll-in-online-sss.html so you can check if your father has a Date of Coverage. Call SSS if he doesn’t have a Date of Coverage.

7. mabelle on March 21st, 2013 10:33 am

hallo. good day! 59 yrs old na po ang papa ko… he’ll be 60 this nov 2013. ask ko lng po makakatanggap po ba cya ng pension? pinagpatuloy ko po ang monthly contributions nya… mga 120+ months na po ang na contribute nya. may nasagap kasi ako na hindi daw makakatanggap ng pension pag voluntary member ang category nya… pls advise… maraming salamat po.

mabelle

8. Nors on March 21st, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi mabelle, yes, your papa can get his pension, even if he’s voluntary. Maybe the news you’ve heard are those cases with no Date of Coverage (this happens when they did not register correctly with SSS). But if your papa was employed before becoming voluntary, it’s most likely that he has a Date of Coverage. Enroll your papa online so you can check if he has a Date of Coverage. http://sssphilippinesnotes.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-to-enroll-in-online-sss.html

9. Jenica on April 4th, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi,

I’m working abroad & i would like to inquire on how to continue my SSS contribution that has been stopped since May 2006 up to this date of 2013. According to the previous posts, online contribution is allowed. But i can’t go home to get the RS5 receipt.
    -Can i get RS5 online?
    -Do i need to give the monthly contribution for the years that i wasn’t able to give?
    -Is there any online service for checking my contribution from Y2003-Y2006?

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Jenica

10. Juan on May 2nd, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi, my Dad, 78 years old, has 49 months contribution only and I plan to complete the remaining unpaid 71 monthly contributions. If I ever do this, will he automatically be entitled for a pension considering his age? Will he be able to collect a lumpsum payment for the uncollected pension from 60 to his present age?

Thanks.

11. adalinaaragones on May 2nd, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi,pwede pa bang ituloy ang voluntary sss contribution now that my husband is 60 yrs old. I think i stop paying since 1990′s. and what happen to our previous contribution. thanks

12. Nors on May 2nd, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Juan, yes, you can continue to pay so he can accumulate 120 months. But that will take you nearly 6 years. Your father will be 84 by then. There’s a new SSS policy about this — you need to apply on or before July 1, 2013 if you want to continue. Click this to see the
    SSS voluntary payment application form.
    Sorry, your father will not qualify for a lump sum that includes pension from age 60 because he did not have yet 120 contributions when he turned 60. Pension starts only when 2 requirements are complied with: age 60 or older and 120 contributions or more.

13. Nors on May 2nd, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi adalinaaragones, your previous contributions are there with SSS. Have you not accumulated at least 120 contributions? If not, you can decide to continue paying to accumulate 120 and qualify for pension, or your husband can already claim his lump sum. You can authorize someone to inquire for you (authorization letter, member’s ID and representative’s ID)

14. Jeng on May 11th, 2013 11:27 am

Hi,

Will I still be getting my maternity benefit if I stop paying my SSS this 2013? I am an immigrant and have been paying my SSS since 2001.

Jeng

15. Nors on May 11th, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi Jeng, yes, as long as you file your MAT1 before delivery and you have paid at least 3 of the 12 months BEFORE semester of contingency.

16. aj on June 13th, 2013 4:37 pm

hi sir, Ask ko lang po sana kung pwede ko pong icontinue ang SSS contribution ng father ko, 57years old, nakapaghulog po sya noon ng less than 10years. nagtatrabaho po sya noon sa abroad at ngayon ay isang construction worker. paano ko po kaya malalaman kung magkano na po ang dapat na icontribute nya? hindi rin po namin alam ang SSS number nya. maraming salamat po.

17. aj on June 13th, 2013 4:40 pm

isa pa po sir, employed po ako nung magpamember sa SSS 2years ago. Pero magtatrabaho na po ako sa abroad next month. ano pong proseso ang kailangan para maituloy ko po ang contribution ko kahit nasa abroad ako? Pwede po kayang pahulugan ko nalang sa kapatid/magulang ko habang wala po ako? magkano po ang magiging monthly contribution ko pag sa abroad na ako magtatrabaho? Maraming maraming salamat po.

18. Romie Velasco on June 15th, 2013 5:18 am

Tanong ko lang Pano ko masend yung annual confirmation of pensioner kung nandito ako sa US. hindi ko din alam kung kelan ako magpapadala at saan, baka matigil pension ko this year. Hope to hear from you soon. Please give me details and info about this. Thank You so much.

19. Nors on June 15th, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi Romie, opinion ko lang based on what I’ve read: you can scan your papers and then email them to SSS, kasi sabi naman ni SSS chief sa SSS website “De Quiros added that SSS pensioners who find it difficult to make that once-a-year visit for ACOP compliance, such as those based overseas, aged 80 years old and above, with poor health or under confinement, can still comply by submitting the required documents to SSS through mail, via email or through a representative within their birth month.” member_relations@sss.gov.ph (write ACOP submission — SSS No.____ in the Subject line)
    Merong list of requirements for those based abroad sa ACOP form.
    Or baka mas mabilis if you just authorize your relative in the Philippines to submit your docs at an SSS branch. Rep’s IDs are also required.
    About when to submit: De Quiros announced that pensioners can now file their ACOP during their birth month. Pueden ring in advance para sure na continuous ang pension. He said “Pensioners also have the option to comply as early as six months before their birth month, which shall be treated as early ACOP compliance.” Here is the full circular: https://www.sss.gov.ph/sss/index2.jsp?secid=4166&cat=6&pg=null best regards

20. Rose on June 27th, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi,

I was working in abroad last 2005 but I stopped working since 2007 until now. I had an SSS but I didn’t contribute any payment. I would like to ask below;
    1.) How to be come a voluntary member to continue my SSS?
    2.) What are the requirements to change my status to married?

Look forward to hear from you.

Rose

21. Jimmy on July 11th, 2013 8:23 pm

Hello,

Ask ko lang, I have had 120+ contributions since working sa Phils but stopped contributing since 2007 when our family migrated overseas. If I were to retire now approaching age 65, am I still eligible for a pension from the SSS? I have stopped contributions since 2007; Im a dual citizen if that makes any difference.

Thank you for any assistance.

22. Nors on July 13th, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi Jimmy, yes, you’re eligible for SSS pension even if you’re a dual citizen. Even those who have become citizens of other countries are eligible for Philippine pensions as long as they have contributed at least 120 premiums at retirement age. You can claim your pension at age 65, regardless of whether you’re still working or not.

23. Ann on July 22nd, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi,

I’m working abroad & i would like to inquire on how to continue my SSS contribution that has been stopped since Aug 2012 up to this date of 2013.

According to the previous posts, online contribution is allowed. But i can’t go home now to get the RS5 receipt.

-Can i get RS5 online?
    -Or can I ask my sibling to get for me?
    -Can I still give the monthly contribution for the years that i wasn’t able to give?
    -And am I still eligible for the maternity benefit? I’m expecting to give birth next year March.
    -I did 48 months of contribution before I stopped because I’m overseas now.

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Ann

24. Nors on July 25th, 2013 2:04 am

Hi Ann, sinagot ko ang questions mo sa isang post, para mas maraming makabasa rin, so I can answer na rin those with similar questions. SSS maternity benefit, Online SSS Registration for OFWs

25. geraldine on August 31st, 2013 2:32 am

hello po.. regarding the annual confirmation of pensioners. As an authorize representative of my father who now living abroad, Can I submit scanned ACOP form with my fathers signature and submit it to the SSS office.. will that possible? will they honor it? because it will take more days if they will send it through mails and I Only have 4 days more before my dad’s birthday. Thank you for your response.. Godbless

26. Nors on August 31st, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi geraldine, SSS instruction is to submit the accomplished ACOP form plus copy of IDs through an authorized representative, so I’m not sure if they accept the scanned ACOP. But I hope they do; you can try if you like. Ask your father to also scan his passport or 2 valid IDs (with photo and signature) issued in the country where he lives. Bring your ID and authorization letter.

27. Beth on January 14th, 2014 10:32 am

My husband is 60 y/o and has contributed more than 120 monthly contributions. He is no longer Filipino citizen and still working here abroad. Can he file for SSS retirement benefits since he is no longer working or retired in the Phil.?
    Your response will be highly appreciated.

28. Ara on February 21st, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi goood afternoon,

I’m 24 years old. Nakapag hulog na ako sa SSS for more than 4 years. I’m getting married and moving abroad for good. I don’t want to continue my SSS contributions anymore since I’m already moving. Can I refund my contributions? What are the requirements?

Thanks.

29. Nora on February 22nd, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Ara, sori you cannot withdraw your SSS contributions. But if you did not register correctly with SSS, you can ask for refund of your contributions. Ask SSS if you have a Date of Coverage — if you have, it means you registered properly, so you cannot withdraw. You can get your contributions plus dividends when you turn 60 years old.
    If you have Pag-ibig contributions, it’s these that you can withdraw if you migrate permanently.

30. Mary Cruz on April 2nd, 2014 7:44 am

Hello po, 53 years old na kaming mag asawa, dating ofw!. We finished our contract one year ago. Gusto po naming ituloy ang sss namin as voluntary na lang sana kasi masyadong malaki para sa amin ngayong wala na kami sa abroad. Pwede kaya yun at ano ang dapat namin gawin? Thanks a lot!

Waiting for your reply,
    Mary

31. Nora on April 3rd, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi Mary, yes, you can continue as Voluntary. Just fill up RS5 form sa SSS or yong SSS payment form sa Bayad Center. Maximum contribution (1560 pesos) ba kayo when you were abroad? Nagregister na ba kayo sa online SSS so you can check your contributions online? Ang suggestion ko mag-contribute lang kayo kapag mataas na contribution; huwag masyadong mababa, because your very low contribution will decrease your average salary credit (this will be the basis of pension computation). In addition, do not decrease by more than 2 levels; if more than 2 levels, fill up the Declaration of Earnings in the lower portion of RS5 form. Merong instructions sa form. Ask others too.
    In your online SSS account, check also if you have a Date of Coverage — this is important.

32. Romulo B. Diolola on April 18th, 2014 1:19 pm

I’ve been a member of SSS since 1980, and I stopped paying it on 1991 because, I am working abroad already til now, my question is “can I continue membership? I mean I want to reactivate my membership, what should I do? please guide me..Thank you!

33. Nora on April 18th, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi Romulo, you can continue paying immediately since you’ve been a paying member before. You can pay at Skyfreight, IRemit, Telemoney or Ventaja partners. You can pay online if your bank is a Bancnet member. New SSS contribution table Minimum for OFWs is 550.
    If you plan to also save with SSS Flexi-Fund, download this OW1 form, and send it to SSS. See instructions. About a week after making your first payment (to allow for posting), register at sss.gov.ph so you can track your payments. Check if you have a Date of Coverage — this date is important.