SSS Membership — Start with 110 Pesos for Your Family

Updated August 2014:

Are you earning money every month? At least 1,000 pesos every month? And you’re NOT YET an SSS MEMBER?

Be an SSS member. This is for you and your family.

In early 2011 in Makati, 10 construction workers fell to their death, and when their families were interviewed on TV, and the issue of benefits came up, they said their husbands did not have SSS.

If these workers had SSS, their wives and small children could have been helped by pensions. They could also have claimed funeral benefits.

You can be an SSS member if you are a farmer, fisherman, sari-sari store owner, direct seller of products, vendor, tricycle driver, jeepney driver, sales agent, etc.

Your category would be SELF-EMPLOYED because you don’t have an employer.


1.  Prepare your birth certificate (original and xerox), if you do not yet have an SSS no.

2.  Prepare at least one PROOF of source of income (original and xerox).

What are valid proofs of source of income?

– Notarized Affidavit of Source of Income
– Receipts of Sales Commissions
– Direct Marketing ID or certificate
– Business Permit
– PRC License
– DTI Registration
– Mayor’s Permit
– SEC Registration
– Franchise Permit as Transportation Operator, with Vehicle Registration Certificate
– Others

Be ready to answer questions about what you do to earn money. The SSS officers want to be sure you’re really earning money, and not just receiving money from someone else.

3.  Go to the SSS branch nearest your house or your work/business.

4.  If you don’t have yet your SSS no., fill-up E1 Form.

Submit your filled-up E1 form together with your birth or baptismal certificate (original and xerox).

5.  After getting your SSS no., fill up RS1 Form (Self-Employed Data Record), the form for Self-Employed applicants.

This is a sample RS1 SELF-EMPLOYED DATA RECORD form.

6.  Submit filled-up form. Answer questions, such as what do you do to earn money? How much?

7.  You will receive a stamped/approved copy of your RS1 form.

8.  After your RS1 form is approved and stamped by SSS, you can start paying your first SSS contribution. Use RS5 form.


The minimum SSS monthly contribution is 110 pesos. This is for those earning between 1,000 to 1,249.99 per month.
The next contributions are 165, 220, 275, 330, 385, and so on.

Here’s the new Table of SSS Contributions.

Do not worry that you cannot pay your contributions every month. Just do your best to contribute every month.

Become an SSS member. You and Your Family Will Benefit. 


Many COMMENTS have been moved to:

Comments Set A

Comments Set B

Comments Set C


Add a Comment
  1. Ms Nora, I am 52 years old male and presently working in a bpo company, last year I had a heart attack and now I still have hypertension and i am on medication for my coronary heart disease. Because of the nature the business of the bpo, we have different work schedules every week so we wake up at different times, adding to our stress, as sometimes we lack sleep due to the environment in the house. It’s made worse for someone like me with heart condition. Our company’s policy of prohibiting bathroom breaks — we cannot just go to relieve ourselves — I feel is giving me uncomfortable situation and pushing up my blood pressure. Lately I got absent but not consecutive. Lately my company is implementing a policy related to disciplinary measures for transgressions in which one is employee adherence aside from performance etc. For every transgressions, one earns demerit points up to 4 but you can earn it back if your status is perfect every month. if im not mistaken. in my case, I got absent for 2 days considered critical days so I earned 4 points which resulted in written warning. even if you submit a medical cert they dont honor it, you’re still absent, unless you’re confined in a hospital. Since I can’t be sure if I can work without getting abset due to my illness, I’ve been planning to resign this december. My sss contribution po has exceeded the required minimum sss contribution to be eligible for pension. My questions:
    1. If I’m no longer working, can I avail of the benefits while an inactive member.
    2. I’ll still have my sss loan balance until next year, what if I can no longer pay it as I no longer have a job and have made my health now more important
    3. I plan to go back to our province and sell whatever I can earn from. Can I be a voluntary member even if there’s no certain source of income.
    4. My retirement age is still years away, is there a way I can benefit from what I worked hard for? I am single and alone here in manila. I hope you can answer my questions and give me advice for my own good. Thanks a lot. I hope you don’t get tired of answering questions from your fellowmen. Sincerely, Julius H.

  2. Hi yu arerreh, you’re right that your health is more important. Have you tried looking for a job that’s less stressful than your BPO job? The advantage of having a job is your HMO, Philhealth, SSS and Pag-ibig. Living in the province is a good option only if you can be sure you can start a viable business there. You need capital, even for a very small business. But you can survive well in the province if you have a house, some land and if you know how to plant vegetables for your own consumption, or how to raise goats, chickens, pigs or cows. Actually, you can be healthier in the province if you enjoy living there, and you know how to use available resources. If you decide to resign, try your best to continue paying your SSS contributions as Voluntary so you can avail of sickness benefit or salary loan or partial disability, and to pay your Philhealth premiums for some coverage. About your SSS loan: if your company is complying with SSS rules, your total loan balance will be deducted in full from your last payment. If your company does not deduct, try to pay off your loan as Voluntary, as the interests and penalties will accumulate and will become bigger. Loan balances will be deducted from monthly pensions if unpaid. I hope you’re also reading about health foods that can help you heal. Pray always. I’ll get back if I have something more to add.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Working Pinoy © 2008-2014 Frontier Theme